Securing repository surveillance
Guaranteeing protection and safety
There is no case where the BfS approves its own works. Rather, in terms of repositories, it is comprehensively controlled and supervised by several institutions at the same time.
- the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) has the legal and technical supervision of the BfS as independent Superior Federal Authority.
- the BfS Repository Surveillance staff section performs an internal security procedure.
The BfS Repository Surveillance unit is an independent BfS organisational unit performing internal surveillance activities relating to the repositories Konrad, Morsleben, and Asse. The Repository Surveillance unit does not perform a "nuclear supervision".
This double security (external supervision by the BMU, internal Repository Surveillance at the BfS) reliably and comprehensively ensures that the nuclear law regulations applying to disposal are complied with.
System of double security
The system of double security is the only form of organisation which guarantees that the surveillance
- is permanently involved in the operational and planning processes,
- has immediate and instantaneous access to all information,
- reacts to special operational results in a way that is quick and in compliance with requirements,
and that the political responsibility for repositories is performed by the BMU on the basis of well-founded information and comprehensive options for action.
State of 2016.04.01